자유게시판

Methods to Win Shoppers And Affect Markets with What Is Billiards

작성자 정보

• Lashawnda 작성
  • 작성일

본문

To prove how much nerve is the first, second, and third necessity in putting, you may take a man of thirty years old who has been and perhaps still is a good cricketer, and has a good eye for games generally. Just imagine our students lunching at the very least in the Waldstein castle hall on massive old silver, served by waiters in liveries, and prepared for examinations by household professors in lecture halls equipped with all kinds of settees, arm-chairs and sofas; just imagine-but no, my young friends, never mind about this. And you were not at your Club: no, I know that. It is necessary to know this in order to comprehend England in a somewhat different aspect. I very much doubt whether any player in England could truthfully say that all distances were alike to him, that he played equally well or equally badly at a shot that wanted a 180-yards knock or a thirty. Why they cannot move their opponent's ball if it is in the way, or if it prevents them from placing their ball in the spot they require, or leave it alone if it does not, it is impossible to say. If you get out, well you have no further opportunity of getting nervous till your second innings comes round, and under no circumstances ought a bowler to be nervous, as one bad ball may always be redeemed by a wicket next ball.

In the same way you may go round a hazard instead of trying to get over it. Carl kept on his way to the hotel. This set Carl to thinking, but something occurred soon afterwards that impressed him still more. I have remarked before that to the golfer as he gets older there are compensating advantages to set off against the diminished power and length of the long strokes of the tee, what is billiards and through the green. You may find one green covered with blown sand, while another has not even much grass on it; while one green may be up-hill on the approach side, and another down-hill. The young player is strong and feels capable of anything as far as distance and power are concerned: he might remove mountains with his driver and brassey, but in his heart he would not object to let his caddie approach and hole out for him. I have played many games in my time, but I confidently say that for a test of nerve, golf is far the most trying game in the world, and next to it billiards. They made him breathe some gas or other, to see what his rabbity spleen would say to it.

Of course it is easy to see if a green is on a level and if on a slope, but it is by no means easy always to judge by the eye whether a green is faster or slower than its immediate predecessor. Then there is a third one which is the oldest, a fourth one distinguished for scholarship, a fifth for athletic records, a sixth because it has the finest chapel, a seventh for I know not what, and as there are at least fifteen of them, I have mixed them all up; I see only the castellated palaces in Perpendicular style, the huge quadrangles, where the pupils move about in black gowns and square tasselled caps, each of whom has his two or three rooms in the wings of these castles; I see the Gothic chapels disembowelled by Protestantism, the banquet-halls with a dais for the "masters" and "fellows," the venerable smoked portraits of earls, statesmen and poets, who went forth from there; I see the renowned "backs," i.e. the rear of the colleges above the river Cam, over which there are bridges leading to the ancient college parks; I float on the gentle river between the "backs" and the parks, and I think of our students, of their hollow bellies and their boots down-at-heel with trudging from lecture to lecture.

I bow down to you, O Cambridge, for upon me was conferred the honour of eating on the dais among the learned masters in a hall so vast and old that I felt as if I were only dreaming about it; I greet you with both hands, O Cambridge, for I was vouchsafed the joy of eating with students, masters and other young people from earthenware dishes in the Half Moon; and happy I was among them. AT first you have the impression of a provincial town; but suddenly you wonder whose this old castle can be. Yes, he had grown callous since coming to North Valley; he had lost that delicacy of feeling, that intuitive understanding of the sentiments of ladies, which he would surely have exhibited a short time earlier in his life. Tennis, for instance, when you first fail to win a short chase, or your opponent keeps on serving nicks; billiards, when your ball is always under a cushion, or the balls dead safe time after time; cricket, when an umpire has given you out by a mistake of judgment-all these are trials, and they form part of the discipline of life.

image.php?image=b17maartent084.jpg&dl=1

관련자료

댓글 0
등록된 댓글이 없습니다.